[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 11 09:45:56 PDT 2010

David Green wrote:

Seth, my intent in raising this issue has always related to tactical issues. In general, there has been a correlation between those promoting a doctrinal anti-Lobby view to support one-state and BDS. Not a perfect correlation, but the doctrainaire view itself certainly does. Apparently, they feel that once you wield some economic weapons against Israel and expose the Lobby, everything will fall into place, and we have a democratic secular state in I/P. Of course, this distorts the views of those of us who support selective BDS, especially, D in relation to U.S. corporations, as does Chomsky.

I don't disagree with what you wrote. I thought of saying something about the BDS/"anti-Lobby" correlation, which I agree exists. But I don't see a logical connection between the two. I don't see how favoring an academic boycott (which I don't), for example, follows in any way from one's view of the "lobby". (I don't think you disagree.) How can anyone think this exposes the lobby, or something like that? Does anybody try to seriously make an argument like that?