[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Aug 12 09:56:57 PDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:07:21 -0500 Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> about dark outsiders hijacking our foreign policy

But the people we're talking about are not dark outsiders, they're open insiders. AIPAC is not exactly a clandestine organization. So you are attacking a straw man of your own manufacture. This comes as no surprise.

> I know you've got a burr up your ass about
> premature anti-anti-Semitism -- which might itself be worth examining,
> but I'll leave that to you and your therapist

This sort of jejune ad-hominem stuff is surely self-discrediting in the eyes of any reasonable person.

I have been struck increasingly, over the course of this discussion, by the somewhat frantic fideistic fervor with with the Pawn Theory is being asserted in the teeth of some pretty well-known historical and contemporary facts. Defense of the True Faith has led rapidly, or rather instantly, to shrill accusations of anti-Semitism and mental illness among those who disagree.

(By the Pawn Theory I mean the view that Israel and its actions are simply emanations and entailments of American imperial necessity; vulgar Chomskyism, you might call it.)

But since I make no claim to understand what burrs might be lodged in the ass of anybody else, and have no wish to go looking for burrs in anybody else's ass, I can only note the fact.

Lexicographic note: I always thought people had burrs under their saddle, and/or bugs up their ass. Has anybody else ever heard the hybrid "burr up your ass" before? Or is this a novelty?

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org