[lbo-talk] Eagleton on Hitchens

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:19:57 PDT 2010

Brilliant piece. Somehow, I've gotten to liking Eagleton much better as I've gotten older, but I like to blame that on Eagleton. I'm interested to read the memoir, although I've no idea when I'll get to it. As it is, I see reflected in the review much of my own frustration and irritation mixed with not-just-nostalgic admiration for Hitch. He can still turn it on when he really wants to, and it is fabulous to watch (or read, as the case may be).

But that's probably why I liked Eagleton's review. Anyway it's right and true if Eagleton and Hitchens fight each other, maybe like when Ace and Hitch used to fight, back in the pages of the Nation when it was worth reading. Whichever side you're on as a reader, they should have worthy opponents. If anyone can match Hitch, it would be Eagleton. Isn't a fight between people like Eagleton and Hitch what the LRB is for? :)