[lbo-talk] Who was Charles Dickens?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Aug 14 16:13:25 PDT 2010

Below is a link to a long and well written essay by Robert Gottlieb in the NYRB, Who Was Charles Dickens? I can't remember what I had to read of Dickens, but I must have read something. I confess a liking for that terrible middlebrow tv, masterpiece theater and would watch anything by Dickens. He must have been made for tv before there was any. Everything seems to fit so well together on a tv format, from the serialized lengths, to the costumes, to the outlandish and over acted characters, and to that most curious of all Dickensonian features, people with no genitals.

But this review which uses several recent biographies as its pretext is pretty damned good stuff to read. Gottlieb makes Dickens out to be the best Dickens novel yet and puts the donkey balls back on the donkey.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/jun/10/who-was-charles-dickens/

``There are a few writers whose lives and personalities are so large, so fascinating, that there's no such thing as a boring biography of them-you can read every new one that comes along, good or bad, and be caught up in the story all over again. I've never encountered a life of the Brontës, of Dr. Johnson, of Byron that didn't grip me.

Another such character is Charles Dickens. His history, of course, is less obviously dramatic than that of Byron, but the turbulence of his emotional life, the violent contradictions in his nature, and the amazing story of his instant accession, before he was twenty-five, to the highest level of literary fame and popularity-where he remained for thirty-five years, and where he still resides-are endlessly recountable, and have indeed been endlessly recounted.''

CG