[lbo-talk] Read Ayn Rand

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 15 15:32:25 PDT 2010

Matthias Wasser wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > "Libertarians" citing Ayn Rand is like evangelicals and their fondness for
> > CS Lewis, except that Lewis was both smarter and a better writer. But as
> > Carrol says, if it weren't Rand, it would be someone else. Hayek, probably,
> > when we're lucky, although honestly the comparison seems grossly unfair to
> > Hayek?
> >

> Hayek is too nuanced to serve that kind of role. Rothbard, maybe?

The possible sources to find right libertarian sentiments are endless. It's just one of the possible variations on fundamental ideology of capitalist society. No particular author is needed either to formulate it for the true bliever or to offer understanding of it to the enemy of capitalism.

Incidentally, I just got back to town after leaving Fridfay and am going through these posts in order, so probably others have already expressed some of my sentiments in posts I have seen yet.

Carrol