[lbo-talk] The way we were...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 15 17:01:18 PDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I found these pix fascinating.
>
> http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/ALookBackInHistory.htm

Wow, it's amazing how much colour seems to reduce the historical distance. I thought that spate of docos a few years ago based on colour WWII footage was pretty great too.

Yes. It's almost as if you can step into a past reality. The historical distance is the same as say, "Casablanca"; but, as much I like that film, the further away in time I get from it, the less real it seems. These pix though, stir the reality of the past to an immediate presence. Must be the colour helps create this sensation. I think there were colourized films of WWI as well, put on SBS or ABC a couple of years ago too.

Mike B)