[lbo-talk] Manufacturing fetish?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:13:29 PDT 2010

Dennis: "when you actually look at the numbers, what you do see is that profits have actually recovered from the lows that they were. They're not at the peak they were at in the 1960s, but that was a unique period."

[WS:] I do not have time to look up the numbers, but I wonder if that is true for mfg as well as the service sector. My suspicion is that any recovery in profitability would be driven by the service sector, which is particularly large in the "first" world and thus weighs heavily on the global economy as a whole.

My other suspicion is that what is called "mfg" from a standard industrial classification viewpoint (e.g. ISIC or NAICS) becomes more like services in the first world, due to the fact that components are manufactured in the third world and simply assembled in the first world (cf. cars.) While industrial classifications make no distinction between manufacturing of components and the assembly of these components into complete units, I think those two types activities differ in terms of their profitability: low for pre-fab components and high for the complete unit. This can also obscure the profitability picture.

Another point: I agree with Carrol that capitalism will not fall by itself, it must be abolished by a revolutionary action. However, the prospect for success of such an action depends on the overall health of capitalism. My hypothetical scenario is that first the malaise of capitalist anarchy must undermine the institutional foundations of the capitalist ruling class (e.g. through depression, war, or both,) but it will take a vanguard party AND an economic opportunity to move things into a non-capitalist direction.

Wojtek