[lbo-talk] Manufacturing fetish?

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 17 07:04:50 PDT 2010

===================== This also squares with David Harvey's and perhaps your own view that cheaper inputs and expanding markets can sustain high rates of profit, but only temporarily. But temporary can also be a very long time, as we've learned. Class consciousness and collective organization and action declined apace with the unionized manufacturing sector, so there's no reason to suppose, assuming capitalism survives its current dangerous crisis, that the accelerated exploitation of the workforce can't continue, or that US - European - and Japanese-based corporations won't be able to shift the bulk of their production and sales to the vast new labour and consumer markets opening up overseas. But for wage earners in the more developed capitalist economies, it certainly does look like we are speeding most rapidly towards ruin one way or the other.