[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The unromantic side of Hamas

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 17 07:24:45 PDT 2010

Thanks, though Abbas' and Fayyad's Fatah is not much of an alternative. The Israelis releasing Barghouti would be tantamount to the release of Mandela which signalled the end of South African apartheid. If Barghouti happened to run and win election, the eclipse of Hamas by a secular progressive Palestinian would, I think, ratchet up the international pressure on the Israelis to move in a similar direction, while also winning the support of women, gays, trade unionists, and others in the West with legitimate misgivings about Hamas and the other Islamist movements.