[lbo-talk] profits

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 17 14:17:17 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Could you imagine a bourgeois economist saying something like this today?

No -- though I suppose it depends on how tightly one circuscribes "non-bougeois" economist.

Nor can I imagine many economists, bourgeois or not, writing as well! I read Smith in a somewhat peculiar context. It was in the midst of a severe depression which made it impossible for me to read anything at all complex --EXCEPT while peddling an exercycle. So for about an hour a day, 5 days a week, I would sit peddle away on an exercycle and read Smith! I reread _Theories of Surplus Value_ the same way during another seige of depression.

Carrol