[lbo-talk] The unromantic side of Hamas

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 17 14:47:39 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-17, at 11:12 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Well, you certainly have solid grounds for being skeptical of Hass's
> on-the-scene reporting sitting at your computer in Canada. Heh.

Unfortunately, that's a disadvantage we all have, including yourself when you confidently assert

> The "fact" of poor and rural
> support for Ahmadinejad, so dear to western leftists, has been shown
> to be a fiction. I think it should be assumed the same is true of Hamas
> and Hezzbollah...

On the other hand, geographical proximity doesn't count for much if it isn't accompanied by a critical and informed understanding of social and economic relations between and within states. You need look no farther than at the superficial American media, where more nonsense about the US circulates than anywhere else on the planet, and at the corresponding low level of American political consciousness.