[lbo-talk] James Dean hated LA, missed NY

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:56:35 PDT 2010

[WS:] I kind of sympathize with his sentiments. Many years ago, I applied for a community college position near LA (Orange county, to be exact.) I was was kind of desperate, because I hated my DoD job, so I was quite excited when I got an interview. However, after driving some 8 or so hours and then looking at the environs of my prospective employer, my mood has changed. The place, a nightmarish suburban sprawl, sucked big time. So when during an interview I was asked why I wanted to give up a government job for the one I was applying, I responded "I'm not sure if I want to do that."

I dislike LA for several reasons, chief among them being that everything seem to be gated there and there are few public places (in comparison to NYC), it is a quintessential "car city" with few places to walk (Venice Beach does not count,) and people seem to be too much preoccupied with the way they look. Maybe that has changed but that is how I remember LA. The film "Barton Fink" nicely portrays the sleaziness of LA (as contrasted to NYC) but the plot takes place in the 1930s.

BTW, the only place I actually like in LA is the Union Station.

Wojtek