[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: 1981 Osirak raid was a big mistake

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 18 10:30:08 PDT 2010

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Juan Cole has a wonderful little smasher-of-the-common-wisdom argument
> today concerning Israel's 1981 bombing raid that destroyed Saddam's Osirak
> reactor. It's relevant because the comparison is coming up a lot now that
> the Iranian Bushehr reactor is coming on line. I excerpt:

But this proves itself beside the point. The U.S. war planners as well as the Israelis know this -- they don't need Cole to tell them And since they know this, but are still waging war (sanctions) on Iran, clearly their purposes have nothing to do with Iranian nuclear intentions. The whole topic is irdrelevant as a perspective on U.S. foreign policy except to reveal for the nth time the sharp split between real and announced aims of that policy.

Carrol