[lbo-talk] James Dean hated LA, missed NY

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:48:39 PDT 2010

Dennis: "Where else did you go in town?"

[WS:] I just visited friends and family (my son lives there) on a number of occasions and we went around the city. But what struck me was how non-remarkable most of it was, at least to me. Only a few highlights (like Venice Beach, La Brea farmer's market, Union Station, Getty Center, and a few deco villas) stood out - the rest of it seemed like suburban sprawl or Disneyland. It is not that I dislike LA, I can think of far more dreadful places - it is just not my kind of place, I do not connect. Unlike NYC, which I loved from day one I got there for the first time.

I am pretty sure that things would look differently if I lived there or even stayed longer - after all my son prefers LA to eastern cities and moved there from Boston where he went to school - but I am talking about superficial impressions. If I were to visualize that impression, I would point to a scene from 'Barton Fink" in which Finks stares at a wall paper in his motel slowly peeling of the wall. Something about that scene signifies the whole city to me - nothing rational, just a vague gut feeling.

Wojtek