[lbo-talk] The unromantic side of Hamas

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:15:26 PDT 2010

>From Zaki Chehab's information-packed, if poorly-organized, Inside
Hamas: The Untold Story of the Militant Islamic Movement:

"In the six months leading up to the elections, the party faithful had worked tirelessly with their activist base to ensure that everyone - including Fatah and Hamas supporters - remained in the dark about their forthcoming victory. Zahar revealed how Hamas voters had been instructed to react if asked about their voting preference. They were advised to avoid the question if possible but, if pressed, they were told to give a misleading response. In this way, the pollsters were tricked months ahead of the election into predicting that Fatah would once again form the next government."