[lbo-talk] new EPI paper on social security

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 13:29:04 PDT 2010

The high costs are part of the profit motive underlying medical practice, especially in the U.S. The clearest example is the high level of Ceasarean sections where the provider gets more money for C-sections than for natural birth. The medical practice makes more for doing more procedures. The drug companies provide favors to doctors for prescribing their drugs, even though they have not been shown more effective than a drug that has emerged from patent protection. The patient does not have the knowledge to select the appropriate treatment.

In the U.S. we discuss everything in terms of costs, even, for crying out loud, the death penalty. In health care this has been a question of access, but I think it also reflects people's subliminal knowledge that financial incentives create a conflict of interest for the provider. Holding down costs is proxy for providing more disinterested care.

Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> (August 18, 2010 4:00:24 PM)

[WS:} I can think of a progressive side of this argument - if the price rises, this will make health care less available to anyone but those rich enough to afford it. This means not just underclass but a lot of working class people whose insurance coverage is likely to evaporate.

Wojtek