[lbo-talk] Castro: "It's the Frankfurt School's Fault!"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 14:14:58 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Oh Jesus, it's a nutty right-wing source, from a nutty right-wing press

Sadly, Castro taking cues from nutty right-wing sources just doesn't shock me anymore.

Still, the whole thing reminds me of one of the funnier passages in William Gibson's most recent novel, Spook Country, where one of the protagonists is listening to a rant by his creepy secret agent man captor:

"Cultural Marxism was what other people called political correctness, according to Brown … and had come to the US from Germany … in the cunning skulls of a clutch of youngish professors from Frankfurt. The Frankfurt school, as they’d called themselves, had wasted no time in plunging their intellectual ovipostors repeatedly into the unsuspecting body of old-school American academia. Milgrim always enjoyed this part; it had an appealing vintage sci-fi campiness to it, staccato and exciting, with grainy monchrome Euorcommie star-spawn in tweed jackets and knit ties, breeding like Starbucks.”