[lbo-talk] profits

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:34:53 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> I tell you, every time someone cites another passage it brings out for me
> just how wonderful a writer Smith was.  He was one of the greatest
> non-fiction stylists the English language has ever produced.  It's a
> mountain of a book on the driest of topics and yet almost every paragraph is
> a physical pleasure to read.

Tony Aspromourgos, a prof here at Sydney, recently put out a new book on Smith focusing on these distributional questions. In his preface he quotes (an English translation of) a Chinese translator of the Wealth of Nations: "When I read the text, in some places it is so moving that I cannot keep from crying. Alas! how touching Smith's sentences are!" I'm not that moved, but he is a pretty witty writer, and it is an awesome work on the sociology of 18th century Britain as much as it is economics.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=oXJcb6pFVLgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=aspromourgos+adam+smith&source=bl&ots=nt2Vg5LAzl&sig=d07bpdwU-vuE41UREejXNbD5_xA&hl=en&ei=34dsTPGhC4arcYiUvZYB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mike Beggs