[lbo-talk] Prose Stylists, was profits

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 18 18:38:19 PDT 2010

Michael Pollak wrote:

> I tell you, every time someone cites another passage it brings out for me
> just how wonderful a writer Smith was. He was one of the greatest
> non-fiction stylists the English language has ever produced. It's a
> mountain of a book on the driest of topics and yet almost every paragraph
> is a physical pleasure to read.

Yes, he is a pleasure to read. But there _are_ others.

Gibbon. Boxwell. Johnson. Byron (the letters).

And re SA's sarcasm. Butler (and other 20th-c writers) is not allowed the sheer length in which whch 18th-c writers indulged and were indulged. I wonder what Butler's books would be like expanded to the length of Smith's or Gibbon's.

Carrol