[lbo-talk] profits

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 19 08:25:17 PDT 2010

Mike Beggs wrote:

> I don't see how you can doubt that economics is a discipline, unless
> you think disciplines are platonic bodies of knowledge rather than
> historical, socially constructed divisions.

Let me try a preliminary analogy. When my younger daughter was in the 7th-grade she had a course called "English Language Science." That was absurd, of course: Linguistics may be a science (or _discipline_) but not any particular language.

My argument, then, is that what is called "Economics" is a construct which cuts arbitrarily from the whole field of human social relations a set of relations which are essentially meaningless: that is, no useful abstractions can explain that set. It seems to me that "Marxist" economists on this list and on pen-l spend a good deal of their time and energy in exploding the pseudo-abstractions of "economics." Roberet Albritton (and I'm wrting this from vague memory since I can't check the text) suggests three "levels" in respect to economic activity. There is Critique (as in Marx) of the "ideal average" of capitalism; there is mid-level theory (as in dealing with a particular form of capitalism (as with British 195h-c liberal capitalism) and there is HISTORY, which deals with present economic activity. The discipline of Economics arbitrarily extracts from history just as my daughter's 7th-grade "English Language Science" arbitrarily extracted from language to form a pseudo-discipline. Such pseudo-disciplines can accumulate huge piles of data and generalize somewhat sloppily in regard to it, but they cannot arrive at the abstractions which characterize and real discipline.

Carrol