[lbo-talk] profits

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 10:28:47 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Marx isn't easy. I know a very reputable young novelist with excellent politics who found the first three chapters of Capital nearly impossible to get through.

Shifting topics now, I wonder what effect the German language and its translation has on the difficulty of Marx's prose. Maybe there's someone here - maybe Angelus - who could answer this question - is Marx's prose more or less difficult for the average German to read than, say - I don't know - Adam Smith's for the average American/Briton? Or maybe Thorstein Veblen's (he could be kind of muddy sometimes)?

SA

^^^^^^^^

CB: Marx seems like a pretty clear and witty writer ( in translated English) . _Capital_ gets repetitive, tedious even, as if he is turning the object of study over and over and over and looking at it from many different angles.