[lbo-talk] "Economics" not a Discipline, [Fwd: Re: [Pen-l] supply and demand]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:07:30 PDT 2010

(Prefatory: Were I 15 or so years younger and not legally blind, I might try to pursue the texts Ted cites and explore his position at some depth. And I wish someone onthis list could respond in some detail to his posts. I find them interesting but unpersuasive. So I guess at 80 and half-blind I shall stick to Albritton, Postone, Luxemburg, and Cox.
:-< )

It seems to me that Michael's post below is ample evidence for my denial that "economics" is or can be a "discipline" or "science" or the producer of "systematic knowledge." In fact, one sentence carries nearly the whole of myargument: " In making this analysis, this theory pretends that nothing else has happened to disturb the system, which is patently ridiculous." But to show that ridiculousness one would have to go "outside" economics, even "Marxian" economics. And that is what Marxist "economistsd" do -- they abandon the ardtificial limitsd of economic theory and write history.

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [Pen-l] supply and demand Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:09:16 -0700 From: Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>

The idea of long-term equilibrium is interesting. Here is the way they tell the story: in the short run there is a disequilibrium, say, a shortage it requires more investment in a particular activity. In the long run --, that is, given enough time business can make the adjustment and reach an equilibrium. In making this analysis, this theory pretends that nothing else has happened to disturb the system, which is patently ridiculous.