[lbo-talk] mass dementia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:34:23 PDT 2010

The disruption of life caused by the economic gyrations of the last few years go well beyond the 'lower' income levels, reaching quite high in the population. Anecdotal: My daughter and her husband have a neighbor who can't carry his two million dollar mortgages because he was laid off as a Vice President of a large corporation, his duties taken over by his executive assistant (read high-level secretary). He's living in one of his houses because the bank lets him in order to protect the house from going to ruin, since they can't find a buyer for it. Probably not very many such cases; not enough to show up in social stats probably, but enough to disturb those who know about them. So those who see troubles but can't understand their actual sources are also _stultified_ by the mysteries of a capitalist economy and driven to search for nonsense explanations.

I think it is a dead end to explain social dementia in terms of collective individual "stupidity."

Carrol