[lbo-talk] mass dementia

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 19 18:23:24 PDT 2010

An important element is that the surrounding decades saw the collapse of medieval mode of production in Europe - at least in part a Malthusian crisis (and perhaps a result of climate change). Areas that were under cultivation at the beginning of the 14th c. fell out of production after mid-century - and have never been brought back. A population weakened by famine in the first half of the century declined by more than a half at mid-century. The Black Death (1348-49) may have been a result as much as a cause of the population crisis.