[lbo-talk] where we are

Jay R jay9971 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 19:56:59 PDT 2010

This is interesting but the problem with comparing stock performance is that it only shows the % change since of start of the recession and doesn't reflect valuation multiples (so for example if the US stock market was more overvalued going into the recession, it would make sense that the % decline was sharper). There are similar problems with just looking at bond yield changes (plus I imagine some of these countries had greater default risks than the US which would lead their govt rates to be higher).

I have to say as someone who follows the markets regularly that I am amazed that Wall St macroeconomists have mostly ignored work like the IMF study and Reinhart/Rogoff, and believe instead that we are in a garden-variety recession with GDP likely to rebound sharply. The last I looked (last Friday) the consensus Wall St estimates for GDP were 2.8% for 2H and 3.6% for 2011. These estimates were even higher before the recent economic data came in. The most bearish mainstream forecast I have seen is Jan Hatzius (who is a terrific economist - Goldman Sachs) who is projecting something like 1% for 2H - even this seems optimistic. Obviously there is a chance that the economy builds momentum and enters a self-sustaining recovery - but given the historical evidence plus the drag of the simulus wearing off, I sure wouldn't make it my base case if I were forecasting.

Jay