[lbo-talk] mass dementia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 20 13:23:51 PDT 2010

I too remember vaguely _some_ accounts of 16th-c witch hunts as connected (not of course to "modern medicine") to pushing women out of trades/crafts that had traditionally been theirs. But I'm not at all sure about this.

I suppose "modern medicine" began with Pasteur, Lister, and whoever introduced anaesthetics. All late 196h-c. The introduction of anti-biotics was the major event since then. Perhaps later the 'end' of modern medicine will be assoicated with the rise in power of the pharmaceutical corporations.

Carrol