[lbo-talk] mass dementia

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 20 16:00:52 PDT 2010

At 03:44 PM 8/20/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Averroes moved back and forth between a court in Seville and Morocco
>and was finally exiled to Morocco after a change of power at Seville.

I only learned recently that Columbus set sail only weeks after the edict expelling Jews from Spain was issued.

http://www.franciscan-archive.org/columbus/opera/excerpts.html

So after having expelled the Jews from your dominions, your Highnesses, in the same month of January, ordered me to proceed with a sufficient armament to the said regions of India, and for that purpose granted me great favors, and ennobled me that thenceforth I might call myself Don, and be High Admiral of the Sea, and perpetual Viceroy and Governor in all the islands and continents which I might discover and acquire, or which may hereafter he discovered and acquired in the ocean; and that this dignity should be inherited by my eldest son, and thus descend from degree to degree forever.

Hereupon I left the city of Granada, on Saturday, the twelfth day of May, 1492

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0610F63C54157493C5A81789D95F4C8685F9

By RICHARD EDERSpecial to The New York Times

December 17, 1968, Tuesday

Page 1, 649 words

MADRID, Dec. 16 -- Four hundred and seventy-six years after King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella ordered the Jews expelled from Spain, the Spanish Government declared tonight that the order was void.