[lbo-talk] A theatrical gesture

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Aug 20 19:51:17 PDT 2010

For the upscale educated heavy drinker, I'd call it The Court of Saladin. (Where boys were more than welcome.) If I had the money, I'd put a place on the front street of Holy Ground Zero.

There is a whole tradition of male belly dancers for endless Arabian Nights of music and dance---followed by days of bloody slaughter. The potential exploitation for a cynical NYC crowd (is there any other kind?) are tremendous. I don't think there has been the potential for anything like it since Hollywood in the Twenties....for igniting the Christians into incandesent fury. Read Nathanel West for details.

The place would need, the seedy theoretical Lebanese matre d' maybe a Sidney Greenstreet look alike with a Fez and a fly swatter.

The Left has to get into the spirit of the thing. This rational Marxist bullshit is never going to score points with anybody. We are in a culture war, so we have to use cultural methods...

CG