[lbo-talk] WikiLeaks: What is it good for?

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 05:58:53 PDT 2010

I'm curious what you all think of the significance of WikiLeaks.

It occurred to me that the Afghanistan documents and Iraq video don't really reveal anything except details of what is already known in general. It's not as if the callous killing of innocents in Iraq is going to surprise anybody. But another problem with it is that it encourages the kind of gnostic worldview of the conspiracy theory, where finding a smoking gun reveals all. I swear I read that among the documents on WikiLeaks was a number of items along those lines, but the only one that I can remember is the climate emails.

What say you?

-- Andy