[lbo-talk] WikiLeaks: What is it good for?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 22 09:11:31 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Andy wrote:
>
> > I'm curious what you all think of the significance of WikiLeaks.
> >
> > It occurred to me that the Afghanistan documents and Iraq video don't
> > really reveal anything except details of what is already known in
> > general. It's not as if the callous killing of innocents in Iraq is
> > going to surprise anybody.
>
> I think you're basically right. It's always nice to have a document that proves something you suspected, but almost everything we need to know is openly available.

I've already posted my agreement, but John Adam's post makes a good point. When he writes, "or propaganda," Im not sure whether he uses it in the current common sense or in the oriiginal 2dInternational sense. The current sense correspnds, actually, to the old sense of "agitation" -- and I believe on widely known public facts can be useful for that. Consider his example of the video: that is, I think, of no use as _agitation_, because showing it presupposes an audience has been collected. But it could, for the reasons he suggests, be excellent propaganda. One can often (at least when conditions are right -- when the prairie is dry) bring people to a forum or other program just on the bare public facts: but it will consist of what for lack of a precise term I will call liberals. They have tood intentions. They sort of believe that police should behave and that often they don't -- but they still have lurking in their souls the conviction/feeling that Officer Friendly represents the ESSENCE of police, that the "bad guys" are only bad apples in a barrel of pretty good ones. And something vivid such as the video he mentions or (closer to the leaks that began this thread) some leaded document in which a Police Commander suggests that some public needs a lesson not to fool with police, could be used to harden the 'newbiies' attitude towards police, and that would be a major step both towards recruiting new 'cadre' and cementing the support of a wider circle.

So yes, leaked facts can be useful propaganda in the old sense of that term.

Off the top of my head.

Carrol