[lbo-talk] mass dementia

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 16:20:42 PDT 2010

At 03:54 PM 8/23/2010, Michael Pollak wrote:

>But the whole thrust of Murray's view is that Christianity had been
>demonizing pagan gods ever since they got into power.

Pagan gods is pretty amorphous and is quite far removed from something like the benandanti.

>We don't have any documents for ancient history or the middle ages.

As far as I know Murray was working off the Golden Bough. Great book but times have changed.

>But I assume Ginzberg presumes it worked the same way then.

I don't think he would presume anything like that. Have you read Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath? That's the real magnum opus.