[lbo-talk] letter to editor

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 20:42:04 PDT 2010

Speaking of that period, I just read a good bio of Mario Savio and the free speech movement. Apparently Savio got radicalized by going to Mississippi and working with the civil rights movement.

The guy who wrote the book is not the world's greatest stylist & the historical context is sketchy at best, but he is sincere and gives a sensible and sympathetic account of Savio.

Check it ou;, it's relatively new: Freedom's Orator by Robert Cohen. Reminded me of better times. Contains the text of a number of Savio's speeches.

Joanna ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:47:32 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] letter to editor

On Aug 25, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:

> Also, wasn't the military desegregated by Truman?

Yes, and that was almost certainly Cold War-related. Ditto some of the deseg moves of the 1950s. Those concessions by the ruling class put the masses in a more demanding mood, perhaps?