[lbo-talk] movie star money - 2010 vs. 1968

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 05:13:15 PDT 2010

I was just listening to a radio show that included a clip from a 1968 on-the-scene news report about the Sharon Tate murder. The newsman was describing the house where the murder took place; it was supposedly among the poshest villas in Bel Air, which was the poshest section of movie-star L.A. The newsman also mentioned the value of the house. I calculated how much that house would cost today if the price were adjusted to represent the same multiple of median household income. The figure was $1.4 million. (The nominal figure in 1968 was $200,000.)

$1.4 million! Am I correct in saying such a house today would go for at least four or five times as much?

SA