[lbo-talk] WOP and fragging

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 05:38:32 PDT 2010

[WS:] So what does that prove? That using War on Poverty/Vietnam war was perhaps not a good example to illustrate my point that combination of external and internal factors are crucial for implementing progressive changes. I take that. But it certainly does not prove the point that you seem to defend, namely that it was the protesters alone who deserve the credit for a policy change. In fact, it is Johnson's administration that does, per one of your quotes.

But instead of quibbling over fringe details, let me reiterate the main point that I am arguing. Established orders, especially those backed by military/police power, do not fall or cave in simply as a result of domestic protest or dissent. The ruling class can almost always suppress or neutralize dissenters - history is abundant with examples. The only time when dissenters have a chance of succeeding is when the ruling class loses it capacity to suppress dissent by force, either because that capacity has been substantially eroded or the cost of suppression is too high, i.e. threatening the regime stability. That usually happens when an outside force undermines the current ruling classes' capacity to suppress dissent or substantially raises the cost of that suppression.

Contrasting Cambodia's Pol Pot rebellion and Kenya's Mau Mau uprising can be illustrative here. In both cases, a rebellion was launched by armed insurgents whose main base of support was the rural population (with rather limited urban support.) In both cases, local authorities backed by colonial powers launched a counter-offensive.

In Kenya, the authorities succeeded. In fact, Kenyatta, who sided with the Brits during the insurgency, was thereafter rewarded by the colonial masters with a greater say in the colonial government, which eventually opened the door to a sovereign national government under his leadership. In Cambodia, by contrast, the regime failed and the insurgents eventually took over.

Why? Because in Cambodia the regime was destabilized by foreign influences (mostly Chinese and Vietnamese, but Americans also played a role) whereas in Kenya there was little foreign "meddling" except the Brits giving their support to counter-insurgency. That demonstrates my thesis that foreign intervention that undermines the regime's capacity to fight insurgents or dissidents makes an enormous difference for the success or failure of the insurgency or dissent.

Of course, it is also interesting to ask what would have happened in the absence of the said insurgencies. I am inclined to think that in Kenya it would not have made much of a difference - Kenya would still have gained independence and Kenyatta would still have formed the first national government. Cambodia, otoh, would likely have been much better of without Pol Pot - it is hard to argue against that - but whether it would be closer to Thailand or to Burma today is an open question.

Wojtek