[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] so . .

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 09:19:11 PDT 2010

. Doug Henwood

On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> did i miss the discussion of beckstock/beckapalooza/beckfork '10?
>
> or have we just decided that it's not worth paying attention to

Should we take it seriously, like all the heated Nuremberg analogies? Or is it just more of the same buffoonery?

^^^^ CB: Bill Press said he attended. Press also interviewed a reporter from _Slate_ who attended. They said it was heavy on references to God, that they self-censored with no signs (!). They characterized it as very subdued compared to a typical Beck show. They said Fox News didn't give it special attention. 200,000.

http://www.billpressshow.com/

Bill’s Day at Beckapalooza

August 30th, 2010 [View with PicLens] beckrally1 beckrally2 beckrally3 beckrally4 beckrally5 beckrally6 beckrally7 beckrally8 beckrally9

Curious to see what it was all about, I decided to attend Glenn Beck’s big rally Saturday. And I’m glad I did.

First, because it gave me a good, up-close look at Tea Partiers: old, white, and angry. From their t-shirts and their flags, it’s clear they all hate government. From their white hair, it’s clear they’re also all on Medicare and Social Security.

Second, because it gave me a good, up-close look at Glenn Beck. No doubt why he scheduled this rally on the Washington Mall: It’s the only place big enough to contain his ego. Barely.

Beck compared himself to George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglas, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr. – and – are you ready for this? – Moses! At which point, I fully expected him to part the waters of the Reflecting Pool and walk across.

Finally, I’m glad I went because at last I understand Glenn Beck’s message. “America is at a crossroads,” he declared Saturday. And now we must decide. Are we going to advance – or perish?”… “I choose advance,” he crowed.

Well, sorry. But if my choice is to perish or advance under Glenn Beck — I’d rather perish.