[lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 10:51:15 PDT 2010

On 8/31/2010 1:15 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Thanks for posting this, Julio. Did you see the extract from Carlo
> Vercellone that I posted here yesterday,
> <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20100830/011349.html>?
> I think what you are getting at here is what Vercellone calls "a model
> of profit without capital accumulation." I think.
>
> If it is, my next question is, what does it mean to have profit
> without accumulation? That is, what does it mean for the future?

But before we get into that, let's do our part to restore the sacred bond between words and things.

Since the economy stopped contracting in 2009Q3, "accumulation" - investment in equipment and software - has been rising at a 16% annual rate. So there doesn't actually seem to be any profit without accumulation.

Since I'm trying to meet the demanding standards of rigor exhibited by the excerpt you posted, I even looked at how many dollars of investment went into each dollar of profit by decade since the 1930s:

$Investment/$Profits 1930s $ 0.90 1940s $ 0.42 1950s $ 0.53 1960s $ 0.58 1970s $ 0.84 1980s $ 1.02 1990s $ 0.90 2000s $ 0.82

It seems like the era of profits without investment was the Golden Age.

Now: What does it all mean?

SA