[lbo-talk] The tax deductibility of debt

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Aug 31 14:12:07 PDT 2010

For a business you could say interest is taxed to the recipient, so taxation at the corporate level would be double-taxation. By that logic they should deduct dividends too. Or not deduct interest to have parity with dividends.

For individuals you could argue that it should be the same as for businesses, on the analog that an individual's transactions are his own 'business.' There is of course a blur between personal borrowing and use of home equity (interest on which is deductible).