[lbo-talk] tea party numbers

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Aug 31 22:32:56 PDT 2010

On Tue, August 31, 2010 9:20 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Really, Chip. You think the Tea Party is responsible for the Reps
> 10-point lead in the generic Congressional ballot? Can't you admit that
> the Obama admin is widely perceived as a failure, for a broad variety of
> reasons? The health bill is deeply disliked. Obama is continuing two
> unpopular wars. He's devoted himself to pleasing Wall Street. But it's
> all the TP?

And that's just the short list of the betrayals. Here are the highlights: almost zero funds for renewable energy or green jobs, no cutting of our insane military-industrial complex, no return of Glass-Steagall, no ban on those derivatives of mass financial destruction, no EFCA for unions, no change in predatory US policies towards Latin America, Afghanistan is still being drone-bombed, Iran is still being war-baited, No Child Left Behind is still being used to bust teacher unions and destroy public education, the broken banking system is still broken, US states are still bankrupt, Wall Street is still borrowing at 0% from the Fed while paying itself record bonuses...

I'm not counseling inaction or despair. I'm saying that those of us who live and work in the US should be honest about the fact that we're in the throes of full-fledged imperial collapse. Yes, the Demublican wing of the Party of Wall Street will be vaporized this November, and the Rethugocrats will come out baying for budgetary blood. That's not the fault of us handful of Leftists. This is the self-destruction of an Empire whose time has come to die. The job of US-based progressives is to plant the seeds of a Green Deal-powered, demilitarized, egalitarian, post-imperial US.

-- DRR