[lbo-talk] INSTANT POPULISM: A short history of populism old and new

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 1 09:00:53 PST 2010

Fernando Cassia: Well, as you can see it focuses on FDR´s New Deal, aka progressive populism, not right-wing populism. :)

======

I haven't read the article, but if you can call the New Deal populist, then you can call anything populist; it makes the word useless.

There were several populist movements (left and right) at the time: Townsend, Huey Long, Father Coughlin. But perhaps it would be useful to have Chip's comment on those movements (if they were movements).

Carrol

P.S. Of course, I reject the concept of Progress and Progressivism. It implies that gains can be made in a step by step manner, as well as that such gains can be retained. Both concepts are empty. Given this reality, calling oneself a Progressive is at best empty.