[lbo-talk] On Wikileaks

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:12:44 PST 2010

I'm much more familiar with the COINTELPRO information dispersal than the Pentagon Papers.  It's still difficult to say whether the release of the COINTELPRO papers hastened the end of the very long tenure of J. Edgar Hoover or whether it was a symptom of the animus the director had built up around himself in other departments of the government.  The individuals who broke into the regional FBI office and sent out of the COINTELPRO papers have never, to my knowledge, been discovered and they certainly have never come forward as whistleblowers.  So it's unclear who was releasing the COINTELPRO papers and for what reason.  But their release certainly helped to retire the head of the FBI who had made the department his personal fiefdom and barely answered to the Executive branch.