[lbo-talk] INSTANT POPULISM: A short history of populism old and new

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:14:40 PST 2010

I think this is exactly right. For all the limits of various strands of Marxism, all of them are embedded in a theory of society, power, economics, politics and possibility. Populism's little folks we like vs big guys we hate has a social perspective but no sociological content.

I think SA's reacting to the number of times Marxists, including many here, have taken the position that the true proletariat is the blue collar working class such that middle income professionals are assumed to be reactionary and always side with capital or side with the working class only until the stakes get genuinely high at which point they are assumed to turn tail and return to their masters, the folks they aspire to be like. The fact that Marxists have dealt with this issue in a diverse range of variously interesting ways seems to escape SA... but he's right in that often times rather vulgar positions are expressed and/or taken w/r/t highly paid skilled/professional workers in Marxist fora. (PS: I am not saying that working class organizations haven't regularly been sold out by or coopted when in coalitions with middle income professionals.)