[lbo-talk] gender pay gap including the uber rich

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:59:16 PST 2010

I was looking at statistics for the gender pay gap for the US and realized that they are all based on the census data which, as Doug and others often point out, is capped at some ridiculously low amount so as to not include many of the uber rich that populate fields like finance, etc. It occurred to me that these fields are also likely mostly dominated by men (and white men at that) so it would be very provocative to have the gender gap statistics including these numbers. I assume this is a very complicated set of analyses, but is there anyone who has undertaken them? If not will someone please do so--preferably before noon today: we're talking about this in my class at 12:30.

Just kidding. But seriously, this would be very useful information--especially if you could cross reference it with race/ethnicity.

best, sean

PS: last class I was trying to show the number of people who don't have health insurance--i.e. to demonstrate that the majority are still white folks, contrary to all the immigrant/poor/minority bashing that gets proffered in resistance to the public option in the popular press. The 2009 census numbers had a breakdown of the uninsured but I was curious that, unlike most of their other breakdowns, they didn't provide the category of "Hispanic only." The result is to make it look like there are a larger number of "hispanics" in this group than in other parts of the survey where they break out the hispanics of all races and the hispanics only (such as poverty and income stats where there is obviously overlap between white and hispanic when the stats are broken out.) I'm sure the category existed because it is basically just a cross reference to another part of the survey, right? So why not list it except for politically expedient reasons?