[lbo-talk] those credit card cash-back offers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 3 16:23:07 PST 2010

I've been paying my dentist by check (for 5% discount) for about 30 years. Also, surveys such as Joanna respnds just give averages, no necessary relevance to particular instances.

On those discounts from doctor or dentist. Under some old usury laws they would be illegal. For they are a disguised way of charging interest from those who don't pay in cash or check. Consumers Reports had an article on this back in the early '50s..

Carrol

Joanna wrote:

I'm not sure if this means anything. There are certain things I must buy: groceries, gas, plane tix, auto repairs, etc. I am not buying "more" because I have a credit card, but I do use the credit card because of the cash back...and I get about $300/year back. Today I went to the doctor and was offered a 15% discount to pay cash/check rather than credit card. I jumped at the offer, and I hope it catches on. Otherwise, the cash back is nice particularly since I never pay interest.

Joanna