[lbo-talk] List question

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Dec 4 13:17:09 PST 2010

Maybe part of the misalignment comes from the usual English translation (I had not thought death had undone so many -- do we owe that to Eliot, or did he crib it from somebody else, pasticheur that he was?) Maybe "had not thought" is intended to be an archaic subjunctive construction, but it doesn't read that way readily for most of us -- we take it as pluperfect indicative ("Before I saw all those people, I hadn't even realized there *were* so many dead people"). But the Italian is unambiguously subjunctive -- "I wouldn't have believed".