[lbo-talk] List question

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Dec 4 16:21:29 PST 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:44:43 -0600 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Are you by any chance familiar with recent discussions of who it was
> who had made the "great refusal"? Many associate it with the Pope who
> had resigned, hence making room for Dante's enemy, but the last I
> read years ago was that that speculation was doubtful.

I haven't read *anything* of consequence on Dante in decades, alas. I was always taught the "great refusal" dude was Celestine V (right?), though history in general has treated C. V more kindly than Dante did, assuming he was the person Dante had in mind. IIRC that identification was made very early.

Who else has been proposed?