[lbo-talk] Billy Joel

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:28:38 PST 2010

On 12/7/2010 3:06 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 12/7/2010, SA wrote:
>

>> I like Billy Joel. I don't see what's so awful about his songs.
>

> Here's one answer from Ron Rosenbaum:
>
> http://www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?action=print&id=2209526
>
> [...]

Ok. That's what I thought. BJ is trite. He has no wit or style, or even any personality. Obviously. But jesus, it's just pop music!

Billy Joel is better than 90% of the indie crap my friends make me listen to. He comes up with harmonic progressions other people don't think of, then he puts them to catchy melodies. That already puts him several standard deviations above the mean. See, even Rosenbaum implicitly agrees:

> OK. But isn't there anything you like?
>
> Fair question. I've always liked "The Longest Time" and "An Innocent
> Man." May I get back to the contemptible crap?

SA