[lbo-talk] Billy Joel

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:00:23 PST 2010

I think that the catchy melodies are really the reason why Billy Joel is hated so much. The nausea of Billy Joel is not only experienced at the moment of the song, but it has an afterlife as the hooks and melody keep it in your head. I was riding my bike to school, and it was remarkable how much of 'piano man' was accessible to memory, especially for a song that I have never consciously listened to. Crappy 'indie' music rarely has that quality to it. It's generally forgettable, so, in that sense, much more forgivable. (working on the premise of a subject that hates both of them. if you like Billy Joel, I suspect that these very qualities that make it so hated, are precisely the ones that bring pleasure.) robert wood