[lbo-talk] List question

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:20:04 PST 2010

Carrol Cox CB: Is that why the world ends, not with a bang , but a whimper ?

We're getting into trivialities,

^^^^^ CB: Been into trivialities on this thread

^^^^^

but _The Hollow Men_ is just a dull poem.

^^^^ CB: The tone, the form, fits the substance. Hollow men are dull.

Or expresses alienation.

I used to recite it while working in a Chrysler plant. Then years later I found someone else who recited it while working in an autoplant , too.

^^^^

(From memory):

Yet say this to the Possum With a bang, not a whimper, ....

^^^^^ CB: From memory , This is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

^^^^^^^

Pisan Cantos

Or perhaps it reads:

With a bang, not a whimper, with a bang

It's been awhile since I read it.

^^^^ CB: Me too, but I memorized it, so, it's like an old Xmas song or something.