[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

pandora akkiraz markanarch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 10:01:17 PST 2010

It was largely through correspondence with Eddie Prevost (when i was 15 years old) that i first earned my wings in european free improv listening.

Rowe (a Maoist, as was Cardew) was a big influence on Syd-era Pink Floyd (whose producer did the AMMMusic LP). Rowe left AMM after a disagreement regarding John Tilbury's refusal to play in the US while the wars in the Middle East were at their height -- he spoke eloquently and i had the chance to debate this point with him at the Camden People's Theater a few years ago.

Rowe's prepared/radio guitar style is not comparable to MBV. Totally different approaches -- i own about half of Rowe's records and can't hum along or groove to many of them! (I've played in two terrible shoegaze bands, and recommend Snic Boom's E.A.R's Koner Experiment LP for an interesting -- partly successful -- attempt to combine British indie rock w/ a more improv approach via a German electronica wiz at the editing desk)

Also check this out if it's new to some on the listserv (and brings things back to Saint Marx): http://newmediakitchen.com/cardew222.html

--

In tyrannos