[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:43:58 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:
>
>> if you respect his music you ought to
>> reject his version of Marxism?
>
> Why? Pound wrote some great poetry and he was a fascist.

But Cardew's political writing is about the politics of music. You can consistently agree with Pound's politics and think his poetry is great, but you can't agree with Cardew's and think his early music is respectable. The argument was implicitly not just that Stockhausen Serves Imperialism, but that Stockhausen and the Early Cardew Serves Imperialism. And this was made explicit in the book of essays in which 'Stockhausen Serves Imperialism' was printed: Chapter 4 is 'Self-criticism: Repudiation of Earlier Works'.

Of course, I'm all for enjoying the music and rejecting the politics... just as with Pound.

Mike Beggs